[Towertalk] Beverage question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Beverage question
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 05:16:57 -0400
> up an 800 foot beverage toward the US with mixed results.  On 160, the
> beverage is much better than the transmit antenna (inverted V) and is
> probably the difference between hearing and not hearing for at least a
> quarter of the QSO's.  On 80, it adds no value at all over the
> transmit antennas.

What are the transmit antennas on 80m Tom?

> The surprise here was when I removed the far end terminator and the
> source impedance went sky high, which is not my experience with
> unterminated beverages.  This made me question the accuracy of the
> other findings.

Did you sweep the antenna and watch impedance vs frequency? What did
you measure for impedance value, and what did you measure it with?

 > My questions are part theoretical and part practical.  First, is
my
> line of thinking valid in terms of using radials to provide low
> impedance points at the source and termination ends?  Is there an even
> better idea?

Yes, use more radials or better yet make a small "screen" of wires.

> of wire)?  Do the radials pickup signals from unwanted directions if
> they are above ground?

Yes they do, even if they are below ground if there aren't opposing
wires or extensive good ground under them.

Is there a preferred orientation to the
> radials?  Should I use any ground stake at all on either end?

It can only help, I'd use one.73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com