[Towertalk] S units have been 6 db for a long time

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] S units have been 6 db for a long time
From: Mark <AA6DX@arrl.net> (Mark)
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 05:45:31 -0700
Well .. seems like the picture shows 48 dB makes S-9, or 5 1/3 dB per S
Unit..... which as I seem to remember back when learning this stuff, that 5
point something dB was accepted as the S Unit, even though it could -- and
would -- vary between manufactures.
Eventually, along about the 70s, became accepted as doubling your output
power would increase an S Meter reading by 1/2 S Unit, or 3dB. Finding a
receiver with an anywhere near linear meter was difficult, and was usually
said to just use the meter readings as a reference, not a scientific fact.
Mark