[Towertalk] Re: Coax Opinions

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Coax Opinions
From: (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 07:39:03 -0700
Kelly, there's no answer.  Coax used indoors in a benign environment should
last forever.  The same coax laying across a hot roof and exposed to daily
UV might only last a few years.  I do the "loss" check about once a year or
so on all my coax -- which is one reason I leave it very accessible and
never clamp it or tie it up so securely that it cannot be easily pulled down
for the test, which I perform on the ground rather than hanging from a
tower.  Since cable aging and deterioration usually begins with a dielectric
change (for the worse), a hipot (high potential) test can often be useful in
determining if the dielectric's become contaminated or has absorbed any
moisture.  RG213/U passes a 5kV hipot easily when it's new...sometimes fails
the same test quickly when it's aged.  Commercial hipot testers are
available surplus around here for less than $50, often.  Not a bad
investment! -WB2WIK/6