[Towertalk] Grounding the mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grounding the mast
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 23:59:38 -0400
> carrying capability. (Some experts suggest ground braid
> whilst others warn against it due to corrosion between
> the exposed braid wires causing increased impedance
> and/or diode effects.)

You forgot the fact that:

1.) Braiding has more resistance and impedance at high frequencies
than a smooth conductor, even when the smaller solid conductor is
much smaller in diameter.

2.) Stranding reduces cross sectional area and surface area where
skin effect would take place, it does not increase it.

3.) Multiple wires tend to collapse and can suffer damage at
extremely high currents, and do not handle heat nearly as well as a
solid conductor.

On the other hand, there are applications where we must use braiding
or stranding, because the lead has to be repeatedly flexed or moved,
and we have no choice.

Use multiple sloped flexible wires with parallel strands, not a
looped wire or braid. A large loop in any wire or cable would impede
current flow significantly, especially if it is a "crosswise" loop
like the turn of an inductor.

Unless of course someone stands up there and tells the lightning to
follow the path through the large loop of small wire instead of that
big diameter mast making a bee line straight down towards ground (and
the rotor).

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com