[Towertalk] Coax recommendations

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Coax recommendations
From: (Wendell Wyly W5FL)
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:27:42 -0500
Don't underestimate the old standard RG213 coax.

It DOES NOT have a foam dielectric and is much more rugged for normal use,
especially on towers and where it gets flexed around rotators and usually
also costs less.

While Foam Dielectric coaxes have a slightly higher velocity constant and
slightly less loss, they are more delicate and will cold flow (move) such
that the center conductor is no longer concentric with the shield where a
sharp bend in the coax occurs.  I have also had the center conductor on foam
type coaxes slide vertically inside the shield on a 100 foot run up the

More care is also required in attaching PL-259 connectors to foam dielectric
coaxes than solid dielectric, although you can damage either one quite
easily with too much heat.

There are tradeoffs, and loss is only one of them.