[Towertalk] Tuning Traps

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tuning Traps
From: KevNathan@DSB.WA.GOV (Nathan, Kevin)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:13:58 -0700
Hi All,

As many on the list may recognize, I have been asking a lot of questions
over the past month regarding 160 meter antennas.  However, I have decided
on what I am putting up and now need some advice.  I am going to erect the
Battle Creek Trapper designed by K1ZM.  I am going to wind my own coax traps
using the Antenna Trap Design program from Tony field for dimensions.  Here
though, is my question.  I do not have a grid dip meter or any type of vom
with an RF probe.  I do have access to the local DX club's MFJ 259B antenna
analyzer but it does not have the add on which, I understand, allows it to
act like a grid dip meter.  What methods, using this device only, would you
suggest to check my home brew traps for resonance?  I am totally blind so
please be specific if describing connections and so on since I have little
actual physical experience with one of these analyzers.  If you respond
privately, please send cc to my home address of

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.  73
Kevin, K7RX

Kevin Nathan, Independent Living Coordinator
Dept. of Services for the Blind
3411 S. Alaska
Seattle, Wa 98118
Voice:  (206) 721-6450