[Towertalk] Mounting fixed antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Mounting fixed antennas
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 17:34:35 -0400
At 02:02 PM 8/14/02 -0700, Steve wrote:
>Of course, I've been there, and done that, too (small tower leg, large plate
>and U-bolts) but all I do is shim the tower leg with steel angle iron.  That
>not only increases its "diameter" to two inches (as the beam wants) but also
>provides a nice, flat (not round) mounting surface for the plate.  The angle
>iron pieces cost about $2 at Home Depot...

Yes, but this also has the effect of concentrating any loads contributed by
the fixed yagi on one leg of the tower, which doesn't strike me as a very
good idea.  I can't do the math to analyze how much better it is, but if it
were me, I think I'd figure out a way to put the load into at least two
legs, preferably all three.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at