[Towertalk] RE: T2X start cap at tower replies

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: T2X start cap at tower replies
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:33:09 -0500
Larry,

It sounds like, from your original note, the capacitor may be on it's last
legs anyway.

Let me suggest that you remove the old cap and throw it out.  (I believe
W5FL had a very succinct and reasonable reason for NOT using two
capacitors.--wouldn't doubling up the caps violate the 'prime
directive'?--Do what the manufacturer says.)

Install the new cap at the tower base or at the rotator.

Double up the appropriate wires (I don't have a TT, so don't know it's
pinouts).

Five or six years from now, you are not going to remember the capacitor at
the tower when the rotator fails to turn and you replace the capacitor in
the control box and it still doesn't work, causing you to trouble shoot the
control box, buy some new cable to replace the old, and THEN suddenly
remember that capacitor you put up at the rotator five or six years ago.

73,
dale, kg5u