[Towertalk] Brackets for Sidemounting "fixed" antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Brackets for Sidemounting "fixed" antennas
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:19:14 -0400
>       [Steve Katz]  As I posted twice yesterday, I use 2" angle iron
>(steel) shims, placed 180 degrees opposing each other, between the round
>tower leg and the boom-to-mast plate.  This provides the correct dimension
>for the mast plates provided with most HF beams, and also provides a flat,
>not round, mounting surface.  In 90mph winds, I've never seen a beam turn
>out of position when mounted to a single leg this way.  The angle irons cost
>about $2 at Home Depot and are pretty "universal."  I've side-mounted large
>beams on single tower legs for many years, including in some very high wind
>areas, and have never had a problem when doing it this way.  Obviously, if
>two legs happen to line up in the right direction, I'll use two legs!
>-WB2WIK/6

Hi Steve,

It may have worked for you, but the shims do nothing to relieve the
twisting torque on the leg, which would be my main concern. I would
have nightmares about brace welds ripping out of legs.

An outrigger tied to a second leg solves that problem, but by the
time you do that, you might just as well have built a full face
bracket, which can consist of just two pieces of angle and a short
2" OD mast.

Steve K8LX