[Towertalk] Inverted L update

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Inverted L update
From: (Wes Attaway)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:31:59 -0500
Those readings are just about what you would expect from an L of your
dimensions with a less than perfect ground system.  Your feedpoint impedance
is probably a little higher than 50-ohms right now.  With a really good
ground system the feedpoint impedance should fall a bit, down closer to
35-ohms or so.  There is actually no need to do any matching for an Inverted
L fed with 50-ohm coax unless it is way too long or short as long as you can
tolerate an SWR of less than 2-to-1.  One way to "tune" an L is to put in
the best ground system you can in your location, use a vertical run of 60 to
70 ft, and then adjust the horizontal length for the best match.