[Towertalk] Trylon raising questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Trylon raising questions
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:17:32 -0600
My personal rule for Rohn Gin Poles is:

NEVER  EVER  use a Gin Pole to raise antennas.

Don't even think about it....  NEVER !

The reason is simple:  The gin pole is designed for
LIGHT  VERTICAL  LIFTS.  ANY significant load
would exceed it's load rating.  ANY significant SIDE
load can / will  BEND  the thin wall aluminum tube.

I use the TRAM method for raising / lowering my Yagi's.
I attach the tram rope and pullup pulley to my MAST.

Think about it:  which is stronger,  a THICK WALL
STEEL  MAST  secured in the center  of your tower, or a
THIN  WALL  ALUMINUM Gin Pole attached to a tower leg?

I second Steve's (K7LXC) recommendation for separate
crane lifts of the tower and mast loaded with the antennas.

Tom  N4KG