[Towertalk] Lightning Protection - Perimeter Ground

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Lightning Protection - Perimeter Ground
From: (Bill Hider (N3RR))
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:55:28 -0400

No, that will not "do".

You need to follow proper grounding procedures.

Ground rods need to be spaced every "2n" apart, where n=the length of the
ground rod in feet.  The grid should be n distance from the building also.
It's not the #4 wire that's important, it's the ground rods!

Depending on where your power, Telco, antenna cables, and control cables
enter the building, that will/may modify that  somewhat.
You need a single point ground SPG entry that is tied into the ground grid
along with power & Telco.

The above is just the beginning of a design for your situation.  Please look
at my website and see what needs to be considered when designing a
grounding/lightning protection scheme.

Also, read the PolyPhaser book or go to their website.

Then, come back and ask more questions.

Bill, N3RR