[Top] [All Lists]

[Towertalk] Importing radios and related equipment from USA

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Importing radios and related equipment from USA
From: (Jim Smith)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 01:44:42 -0700
I just received via Canada Post two shipments from Burghardt in South 
Dakota.  One was a roll of Phyllistran (sp?).  It was given the 
classification "8527290000 radio receiver without tape".  The other was 
grips and thimbles for the Phillystran.  It was classified as 
"9503900060 17 Craft Items".  In both cases there was no duty but there 
was GST and PST and a $5 brokerage charge.

I have a Force 12 C4 on order, coming via UPS.  The way to avoid having 
to pay UPS brokerage fee is to do the following:
1.  Don't have it shipped by Air.  If you do, the brokerage is included 
in the quoted shipping cost.
2.  Have the vendor write, "Clears own" in the Special Instructions on 
the waybill and also on the Canada Customs documents.
3.  Have the vendor send you the UPS tracking number as soon as they 
have shipped it.
4.  As soon as you get the tracking number, phone local UPS office, tell 
them the tracking number and state that you want to clear it yourself.
5.  When the shipment arrives UPS will phone you and ask if you want 
them to take care of Customs clearance for you.  Instruct every member 
of your family and yourself to say, "NO".
6.  Now you will have to go to the UPS office, pick up the customs 
paperwork, take it to a Customs office, get them to OK it, pay the pound 
of flesh (PST & GST), take the paperwork back to UPS and they will hand 
your stuff over to you.

Is it worth $50?  Hell, yes.

Where did I get this info from?  UPS

Does it work?  It did the last time I tried it (last summer).

Hope this helps.

de Jim Smith    VE7FO

Chris BONDE wrote:

> Andy:
> From my experince,  if marked "amateur radio equipment only" on the 
> waybill and blading plus the description of the goods, then there 
> should be no duty.  However, the taxes will be levied. GST orHVT etc.
> Go to your library or to the government site.  Try to find the class 
> subclass of the goods, to be armed at the border.  Also check out the 
> RAC.CA site.
> Donot let the vendor ship across the border via UPS.  UPS will do it 
> to you.  From all the experinces and stories, they are bad news for 
> going across the border, last I heard minimu CA$50 for their inhouse 
> border brokers  to look at the package.  Better to use the post 
> office.   The best is if you can have it delivered to a site near to 
> the border, pick it up yourself.  Now, I was told not to open the 
> package until I was at the Canadian border.  But the Canadian customs 
> said not true, but that was this officer.  I am not sure now after the 
> WTC what would be the best method.  Ask the Canadian and US customs 
> whether to open or keep closed the package.  Fear you might pocket 
> some stuff.
> Further, check out with the US on whether you can obtain a duty and 
> tax rebate when taking it across the border out of the country.  I 
> know in cases you can when taking the goods out of Canada.  
> (especially the GST)  (sometimes all GST for US visitors)
> Chris opr VE7HCB
> So, check out, checkout.  Best bring across the border yourself and 
> know the customs classes etc for the goods.  Generally, no duty for 
> "experimental radio equipment".

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>