[Towertalk] Towers in Hurricanes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Towers in Hurricanes
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:33:57 -1000
> ... a category five hurricane  is a once in a lifetime event (I hope!).

So do we out here on Kauai,  Joe.  We had our own Cat. 5
hurricane on 9/11/92, Iniki, just several days following
Andrew.

Estimated maximum sustained winds over Kauai were 140 mph
with gusts to 175 mph, making Iniki the most powerful hurricane
to strike the Hawaiian Islands in recent history.

My big 4 element cubical quad, with its' looong boom,  looked
like a giant pretzel laying all over the roof and dangling down
the walls past broken windows......  Yes,  we hope never again!

Unfortunately,  the anniversary date of Iniki has been pre-empted
by a more import event  in our US history now.

73,  Jim  KH7M