[Towertalk] Towers in Hurricanes

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Towers in Hurricanes
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 01:09:51 -0400

     For the past three years I've been working on a wireless telephone
project in Haiti, just a short plane ride from Miami.  Our network consists
of many self-supporting towers that we specified to withstand sustained 120
mph winds.

     My point is that most commercial tower systems are designed to meet or
exceed some wind-speed specification.  Depending on the location, some
installations are more robust than others in terms of wind survivability.
But something to withstand 175 mph-plus winds?  It can be done, but with
considerably more $$ than for a 120 mph design.  Remember - the force
increases with the square of the wind velocity.

     My professional guess is that very few for-profit entities (cellular
phone company or broadcaster, for example) would choose to build something
to withstand that level of wind intensity - something that supposedly comes
along once in a generation.  It's cheaper to rebuild after the storm than to
pay the carrying costs (interest) on a monstrosity of a tower that in all
likelihood might never have withstand such forces.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F