[Towertalk] Aircraft Cable

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Aircraft Cable
From: W3YY@aol.com (W3YY@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:23:37 EDT
In a recent post, 'aircraft cable' was mentioned as a 'standard guying
material'.  Several individuals took exception to this comment, noting that
EHS is the standard guy cable normally used.  That may be the case, but I
also got the impression that some might not be familiar with 'aircraft
cable'.  This is unfortunate, because I think it is really a superior
material.

Normal galvanized EHS cable consists of 7 individual wires of galvanized
steel.  the breaking point is 3990lbs for 3/16" cable and 6000lbs for 1/4"
cable.  The cable is fine, but is relatively stiff and inflexible.

7x19 aircraft control cable consists of 7 individual strands, each consisting
of 19 individual wires.  It is extremely flexible, almost like rope, and very
easy to work with.  It's available in both galvanized and stainless steel.
The breaking point for the galvanized material is 4200lbs for 3/16" and
7000lbs for 1/4".   If your looking for strong, easy to work with steel guy
cable, you should seriously consider this cable.

While I'm on the subject, the other item I really like to use with this cable
are the Nicopress copper sleeves.  One of these crimp on items, takes the
place of several U-bolt, crosby clip, cable clamps and produces a  joint
stronger than the guy cable itself.  The sleeves are much cheaper than the
U-bolt hardware but the crimp tool is pricey - about $350 for the 1/4" tool.
Still its a nice system for permanent joints.  Where you might want to later
remove a cable, still use the U-bolts.

I'm converting everything to Phillystran, but am using the 7x19 galvanized
aircraft control cable on the portions of guy lines close to the ground.

73, Bob - W3YY