[Towertalk] Universal aluminum

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Universal aluminum
From: k3bz@arrl.net (Jerry Keller)
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 09:14:48 -0400
I've learned the hard way that people will always suspect information given
by someone with a parochial interest, even with the best of intentions. But
let's not let our suspicious natures blind us to truth that might get us a
better tower value. Anyone reading here now knows... as does Jim... to
obtain and compare ALL the specs before deciding. All that info is available
on the Trylon and ANS websites, if we look.

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean somebody isn't out to get
me"...likewise, Dan might possibly have a bias, but that doesn't mean he's
wrong. Or right, either. We have to look at the data ourselves.

There's lots of sides to the issue for me: one thing that bothers me is the
huge weight of steel towers, making it impossible for me to affordably
handle a tower section alone. Makes aluminum sound good to me. Trylon weighs
half as much as ANS, and I still can't move it around! I get to wondering if
tower professionals might disparage aluminum (even for amateur use) because
they fear it for engineering reasons, rather than actual experience.

Questions I'd like to ask of those in the business: how many tower failures
have you personally seen? How many of those were aluminum? Were the failures
due to overloading or other mistakes? Are the engineering specs for aluminum
less reliable than the engineering specs for steel? If one puts up aluminum
and respects the load limits, etc, is there a greater chance of failure than
with steel?

Jerry K3BZ
I'm not an engineer and I don't even play one on TV.