[Towertalk] Where to Place Guys for a Roof Tower?

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Where to Place Guys for a Roof Tower?
From: (Eric Rosenberg)
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 00:07:33 -0400
I'm about ready to put up a new (to me) roof tower, but have a question
about guying (which the manual calls for).
It's one of those Japanese 3m (~10 ft) quadpod and a 4-sided straight
section types (4.75 ft lower section, 6.5 ft upper section, with the
sections bolted together). The the guy point is ~ 0.5m (20") down from
the top. The rotor sits 1.5m
(~5 ft) below the top, with 3m (~10 ft) of the mast sticking out the

            |    |
            |    |
            |    |
            ------  << rotor goes ~ here (1.5m down from the top)
            |    |
            |    |
            |    |
            |    |
           /      \
          /        \
         /          \

My question is how do I determine where on my roof to put the
guys...which is to say, what's the angle between the guys and the
vertical section?

[The manual also shows the legs sitting against angle iron and *not*
bolted down. This surprised me at first, but when I checked out the
legs of the tower, I noticed that there were no bolt holes! As this is
a replacement for another similarly base dimensioned (but smaller) roof
tower, I'll be drilling holes to fit the existing feet.]

Thanks in advance,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC