[Towertalk] Shunt Fed Tower 160/80

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Shunt Fed Tower 160/80
From: k2xx@swva.net (Joe Giacobello, K2XX)
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:21:15 -0400
Dan, I am very interested in just how you went about using your crank-up tower
as a vertical.  Did you
load the cable or the tower structure itself?  Did you shunt feed it via a
gamma match?  How much power
were you running?  I have a motorized Triex LM-470 here and would like to do
the same.  However, I was
warned that there might be some problems with high voltages between the unwound
cable (assuming one uses
it as the conductor) turns on the winch spool and/or other mechanical portions
of the tower raising
system.

I would be interested in a detailed description of your arrangement.

73, Joe

Jim: I have shunt fed 2 different crankup towers at various times and
had no problems in either Dallas or Spokane. Neither are particularly
corrosive climates. YMMV. I have seen no indications of intermittent
contact or variations in SWR. Go for it. 73, Dan, N5AR