[Towertalk] Steel vs Phillystran on a Roof Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Steel vs Phillystran on a Roof Tower
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:59:20 -0600
N4KG response inserted below.

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002  Jon Ogden <na9d@speakeasy.net> writes:
> on 9/10/02 10:08 AM, n4kg@juno.com at n4kg@juno.com wrote:
>
> > You do NOT want any conductors over 12 ft long between
> > insulators anywhere near an antenna for 10M.  Note that
> > the first insulators must be less than 5 ft from the tower
> > to meet this requirement since there is continuity through
> > the tower.  (N4KG)
>
> That's not quite correct.  If you look in the ARRL handbook, you can
> find a lengths of cable that will be fine.  In fact, the ARRL says that
25
> feet or so is about the ideal length.

That information was first published at least 30 years ago,
LONG before computer modeling was available, and has been
MISINTERPRETED for decades.

First, there is NO  SUCH  THING as a NON-RESONANT conductor length.

A 25 ft conductor is self resonant near 20 MHz and makes an
excellent REFLECTOR on 15 Meters.  A 27 ft conductor is
self resonant around 18 MHz (The 17 Meter Band) and can
act as a sub-optimum Reflector on 10, 12, and 15 Meters
and a sub-optimum Director on 20 Meters.

What is NOT generally understood is that ANY Conductor
that is over 3/8 wavelengths long at the frequency of interest
WILL couple to another (Driven) Element.  I learned this when
modeling a 2L 6M antenna.

A parasitic element spaced at 0.15 WL acted as a DIRECTOR
when tuned between 0.3 and <0.5 WL.
It acted as a REFLECTOR when tuned from >0.5 WL on out to
MANY Wavelengths long, truncating with 2 dB gain and 4 dB F/B.

I have posted this information several times on TowerTalk.
If you don't believe it, model it for yourself. I think you will
change your opinion about "non-resonant" guy lengths !

FWIW, I have steel guys and insulators on all 7 of my towers.
I placed the First Insulator 3 to 4 ft from the tower to minimize
the conductor length immediately under the antennas taking
into account that there is continuity THROUGH the tower
from insulator to insulator.

I follow this with (typically two) 12 ft lengths which are nearly
invisible below 30 MHz.  These are then followed with combinations
of 27 ft and 40 ft lengths which are spaced at least 27 ft from the
tower, but I now suspect may still have some interaction on the HF
bands.  N4ZR has reported that 20+ ft of insulated guy between
from is 40M Yagi was NOT sufficient to prevent interaction with
(continuous?) steel guys extending from that point to ground.

This is why so many of the BIG GUNS are going to Philystran
or Fiberglass guy rod.

Tom  N4KG

As you get longer and longer, it gets