[Towertalk] Steel vs Phillystran on a Roof Tower

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Steel vs Phillystran on a Roof Tower
From: (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:32:51 -0500
on 9/11/02 10:55 AM, VR2BrettGraham at wrote:

> In its normal application, sails blow out & other bits of the rigging fail
> before the halyard packs it in.

That's a very good point.  After having done some serious racing on 40 foot
yachts, I've been amazed at the forces on sails and hardware.  I am amazed
at the relatively small size of bolts and so forth that end up having
thousands and thousands of pounds of pressure on them.  It's amazing to me
how all of this is fastened through nothing other than fiberglass!

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA
Member:  AMSAT, DXCC