[Towertalk] Stub tuning

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] Stub tuning
From: (Michael Tope)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:23:08 -0700
Yes, but the SWR curves are typically pretty broad, so
sensitivity is not the greatest. Better to put a wattmeter
between the T and the globar and look at forward power
at the harmonic. Forward power will be minimum at the
frequency that the stub is tuned match. This is generally
a very sharp null and will give a better indication of the
tuning of the stub than looking at passband VSWR.

I use a VSWR meter with adjustable sensitivity to perform
this measurment as this allows me to make the measurement
with a minimum of TX power (remember you are loading
up the rig into a dead short when you do this measurment).
An LMR-400 stub will provide 20 to 25 dB of rejection
at the 2nd harmonic, so for 10 watts of TX power you will
need a meter that is sensitive enough to see 10's of milliwatts
in order to properly resolve the null.

73 de Mike, W4EF...................