[Towertalk] (no subject)

To: <>
Subject: [Towertalk] (no subject)
From: (Craig Clark)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 16:41:53 -0400
It's key to remember that most of the nourishment for the tree is passed
up through the bark. Limit the damage to the bark as much as possible.
Hate to pick nits, but -  It is my understanding that fluids sustaining the
tree travel in
tube-like structures in the cambium layer which is immediately under the

Hi Gordon,

What you say is true to a point. Unless the gash/damage is large or severe,
your chances of harming the tree are slim. Trees will repair holes in the
bark quite quickly just like a skin wound.

I make anywhere from 10-25 gallons of maple syrup every year (that takes
anywhere from 400 to 1,000 gallons of sap.)  I tap my maple bush in late
February - early March. By late April, the taps are gone and the holes are
closed. Within five years, it's hard to see where the trees were tapped
unless you know the system I use.

If you are concerned about a hole you make in a tree, you can always get an
asphalt based spray that will cover the wound and give the tree time to
heal itself.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust a screw anchor in a tree to hold my tower up. In
our last wind storm I lost a red maple.
73, Craig Clark

PO  BOX 209
603 899 6957