[Towertalk] Taking them down

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Taking them down
From: K5RC@aol.com (K5RC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:53:53 EDT
I have taken down four 120' AB105 towers with a 40 Ton Grove crane. We
attached considerably above the center of gravity, but not a the top. It
looked like a curved piece of spaghetti coming down, but that was the
cumulative play in the bolted sections. We had no problems and it went back
up just fine (until Hurricane Alicia in 1983).

In recent years, I have used the boom trucks from the local sign company to
take antennas up and down. No reason why they wouldn't do for taking towers
down and they are a lot less expensive. I've had one here with a 85' reach.
They have bigger ones, but they will not make it up my 1000' serpentine
driveway.

Tom, K5RC
Virginia City NV

multipart/alternative