[Towertalk] Re: SteppIR Element Placement

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: SteppIR Element Placement
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 05:48:41 -0600
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002  "Brad Nowak" <bnowak@telocity.com> writes:
> Let's not forget that the SteppIR IS only a 3 element antenna.  Fact
> is, ALL 3 el., multi-band, YAGI antennas must be a compromise.
>
> Brad - N8SNM

Actually, EVERY Yagi is a compromise, trading off between
Gain, F/B, SWR, Bandwidth, Size, Weight, Cost, etc.

Generally speaking, Maximum Gain, Maximum F/B, and
best 50 Ohm match (for a split dipole DE) NEVER occur
with the same design (i.e. element tuning and spacing)
for ANY Yagi regardless of the number of elements or bands.

Some designers optimize gain, some optimize pattern,
some optimize simplicity of matching.  I guess that's
why there are so many different antennas / manufacturers
to choose from.

Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.