[Towertalk] creating ground "surround" of house: Obstacle

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] creating ground "surround" of house: Obstacle
From: wendell@wyly.org (Wendell Wyly W5FL)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:01:22 -0500
I wouldn't be concerned about induced voltage into the Romex.  In the event
of a direct hit (unlikely) anything conductive is subject to arcing over to
the line carrying the lightning current and then continuing to distribute
that fault current.  The Romex should have been an electrical conduit run
buried 24 inches minimum per NEC.  There is no place that allows direct
burial of six inches!   It is a shock hazard waiting for an accident to
happen (someone will be planting a bush and dig into it with a shovel!

Yes, tie the tower to the house ground ring with a single run of #4 (or
larger) wire.  Do not rely on the coax shields.

The thing that never ceases to amaze me, though, is why do all of the
grounding for the tower and around the house and not put lightning points
(terminals) on the house that are properly tied to the ground ring and
grounding system?

Always keep in mind that the most damage during a storm is caused by
voltages induced into the phone line followed by voltages induced into the
electrical line.

Do everything you can to protect yourself and your station, then disconnect
all antennas and other lines from the shack at the approach of a storm.