[Towertalk] SWR & Speed of Light?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] SWR & Speed of Light?
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:01:01 -0700
Hey Jon,

Group velocity or perhaps more aptly "information velocity" is always less
than or equal to the speed of light in a vacuum, but the "phase velocity" or
the speed at which a constant phase point on an electromagnetic wavefront
progates along the wall of a waveguide can actually exceed the speed of
light in a vacuum. This is analogous to a wave hitting the beach at a
slightly
oblique angle (as opposed to head on). The group velocity refers to the
speed with which the group of waves travels along the beach (imagine a
group of 3 or 4 waves traveling in a bunch on an otherwise calm sea).
Phase velocity refers to the speed with which a particular phase of one
of the waves (the crest for instance) races along the the shoreline as that
portion of the wave propagates forward. If the wave is moving parallel
to the shore, the group velocity and the phase velocity are equal. As the
wave direction is shifted towards being more perpendicular to the shoreline,
the phase velocity increases progressively until it becomes infinite when
the wave is perfectly perpendicular to the shore. Likewise, when the
waves are hitting the shore perfectly perpendicular, the group of 3 or 4
waves has zero motion along the line parallel to the shore, thus the
group velocity goes to zero.

In a piece of coax, the dominate propagation mode is TEM (tranverse
electromagnetic). In this case the shield is analogous to the shoreline and
the wave is traveling parallel to the shore - phase velocity = group
velocity.
In a rectangular waveguide, supporting the TE10 mode, the wavefronts are
no longer traveling parallel to the waveguide walls. In this case they are
analogous to the waves hitting the beach at an oblique angle. Now phase
velocity is greater than group velocity. In the extreme case at the cutoff
frequency of the waveguide, the wavefronts are moving perpendicular to
the wall of the waveguide. Phase velocity becomes infinite and group
velocity goes to zero. Unfortunately, even though the wavefront phase
velocity can be greater than the speed of light, information only moves
at the group velocity which is always less than or equal to the speed of
light. Mr. Einstein can rest in peace (at least for now).

I don't know about this superluminal stuff. It sounds fishy to me.