[Towertalk] Changing towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Changing towers
From: ogden@us.ibm.com (Bill Ogden)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:08:38 -0400
I put up a 40' free standing aluminum tower last last year, with a
2-element quad on top.  The tower was easy to walk up and seems to be
exactly what was advertised.

The problem is that, as the years have passed, I find I am no longer a
climber --- even for a little 40' tower.  In retrospect, I should have gone
for a crankup (with the lifting/tilting device, as well).  I am trying to
estimate how much hassle there would be in changing towers.  My target
would be the U.S. Towers  55', three-section crank up.

I currently have about 2.75 yards of concrete in the ground, in an
irregular 3 x 4' pattern, about 4-5' deep.  Could I use this as the base
for the crankup?  I would cut off the current mounting leg connectors,
drill fairly deep holes in the concrete and use construction epoxy to hold
the new mounting bolts for the crank-up.  Should I pour more concrete next
to the current mass (and maybe drill a few connecting rebar holes to link
the two "pours" together)?

Bill
W2WO