Re: [Towertalk] Mast Coupler

To: <k5ya@gvtc.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Towertalk] Mast Coupler
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 22:21:17 -0700
Dennis,

Warren, KE6LEA and I put together the flex-disc shock absorber
scheme pictured below for the M^2 OR-2800 rotator at W6UE:

http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~w6ue/KT/OR-2800-1.jpg

Warren got the flex-disc from a local Mercedes dealer. I think
he found that the Mercedes disc is considerably cheaper than
the BMW disc (I think he paid $40). The bottom flange for
the flex disc is the stock Orion flange which we trimmed down
from an ellipse to circle for a better fit in Rohn 25. The top
flange assembly is a home brew job that Warren cut and
welded up from some steel rem that he had laying around his
shop.

Some folks probably consider this setup to be overkill, but
the antennas we are turning are a bit on the heavy side for
Rohn 25. The flex-disc arrangement was the cheap
alternative to replacing the existing Rohn 25 tower with
Rohn 45 or 55.

So far so good.