[Towertalk] Rebar

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rebar
From: kr7x@attbi.com (Hank Lonberg)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:39:48 -0700
Red:

I am really surprised that none of the rebar suppliers in your region
knows about ASTM A706 reinforcing steel. I would be leery buying
anything from them. I have see A706 at Home Depot even.

The 60 grade and 40 grade are in reference to the yield stress of the
bar with 60 being 60,000 psi and 40 being 40,000 psi. I am also
curious,as 40 grade is not a readily available grade anymore and hasn't
been for quite awhile. I wonder if your suppliers are using import
material. Are your suppliers reputable or are they used or surplus
yards? Just a question don't take it the wrong way.

As to the welding, use A706 bar or preheat the 60 and 40 grade to 300
degrees F prior to welding or risk losing 1/2 or more of the bar
strength. Use E70xx electrodes. It's Your choice.

Good luck

Hank Lonberg, S.E.,P.E. / KR7X
Lonberg Design Group