Concrete Hardening (Was:Re: [Towertalk] First Tower)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Concrete Hardening (Was:Re: [Towertalk] First Tower)
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:11:45 -0500
on 10/3/02 10:26 PM, EUGENE  SMAR at spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net wrote:

> Concrete cures almost forever.  That is, it is ALWAYS getting stronger.  The
> trick is to wait until it's strong enough to support your antenna load.

Not to nitpick, but I disagree.  Concrete cures by a process called
hydration.  This involves moisture being absorbed into the concrete.  That's
why it's best to keep concrete covered in plastic for a week or so after
being poured.  The moisture is what keeps the hydration process going.  Once
the moisture is removed and the concrete completely dries, the hydration
stops and won't continue ever again.  The concrete won't get any stronger at
that point.

If you can constantly and forever keep the concrete damp or in water, it
will harden forever so your statement is not entirely incorrect.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden