[Towertalk] Antenna Hoist Rope?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna Hoist Rope?
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 23:37:09 -0400
On 9/1/02 5:14 PM, Paul McInnish - Home at k4bet@bellsouth.net wrote:

>I use and suggest Polyproplene over the Nylon... UV from the sun attacks
>Nylon and breaks it down rather quickly and reduces, dramatically, the
>breaking point.
>
>Poly rope is much more resistant to UV and this is what the utility
>companies use, also.

Paul,

I hate to disagree, but chemistry says just the opposite.

Polyproplene rope degrades quite quickly in the sun. Within a year, it
will be so brittle and will shed fibers everywhere. It is used in many
marine applications because it floats. But has to be replaced -- often.

Nylon, on the other hand, will degrade with UV, but does so more slowly.
I've used nylon ropes to tie down my plane. A set of 3/4" rope lasts
about 4-6 years. Polyproplene wouldn't hold 50% of it's strength for a
year.

Now, for a haul rope -- you may not care so much about UV resistance, if
you take care to keep the rope stored out of the sun and only deploy it
long enough to do the haul and put it up.

Poly is a LOT cheaper than nylon or Dacron. But it doesn't last in the
sun.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901