[Towertalk] andros 2 piece N connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] andros 2 piece N connectors
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:50:22 -0700
The 2-piece Andros type N connectors are intended for use with solid
center-conductor coaxial cable such as 9913, 9086, LMR400, etc.  The center
conductor does NOT need to be filed down in any way, the #9.5 AWG conductor
slips right into the center pin perfectly.

The caveats are:

-The center conductor of the coax needs to be precisely centered prior to
screwing the Andros body onto the cable; if there's any misalignment at all,
even .030" or so, the center conductor can "miss" the center pin, and push
the Teflon dielectric right out the end of the connector, rendering a $4
paperweight, and you must start over again with a new connector.

-Don't use stranded-conductor cable, at all -- this is a misapplication and
very tricky.

-The Andros 2-piece N creates a "blind mate" of center conductor into center
pin; that is to say, you really cannot see what's happening inside the
connector as the center conductor mates with the pin.  You might catch a
small glimpse of the action through one of the four solder holes in the
body, but this is not a good view, nor does it last long.  As such, the
conductor alignment with the pin, and the use of only solid-conductor cable,
is very important.

-The cable center conductor should be trimmed to 3/16" (.1875", or 4.75mm)
in length prior to connector installation.  If it's any longer, it's too
long for the job and the conductor will try to push the N center pin right
out of the connector dielectric.  If it's any shorter, it's too short for
the job and you may miss finding the conductor in the solder hole in the
side of the pin.  It's a fairly critical trim length.

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti