[Towertalk] Choices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Choices
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 23:26:48 -0600
N4KG comments added below.

On Wed, 09 Oct 2002 Jon Ogden <na9d@speakeasy.net> writes:
> on 10/9/02 3:15 PM, Robert Shohet at kq2m@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> >> Those east coast guys don't know what it's like trying to work
> Europe while passing your signals through the auroral belt!
> >> 73,
> >> Jon
> >> NA9D
> >
> > In  New England we are INTIMATELY familiar with
> > what the Auroral Belt does to signals!  So are most
> > people on the East Coast.
>
> Not anything like us here.  That's one reason why you guys can start
> runs to Europe a couple hours earlier and keep them going a couple
> hours  longer than us.  And yes, it helps to be closer to them by 1000
> miles as well.
> -------------------------------------
> Jon Ogden
> NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

It's even worse than that...Not only do the W1's enjoy an EXCLUSIVE
first hour to EU due to their earlier sunrise, but they can hear hundreds
more of the super weak Europeans with really crummy locations that
never seem to make it past the East Coast.  Their Low Band advantage
makes us Central (and Western) guys cringe.  K1AR can work EU around
the clock on 40M and 80M from W1 is as good or better than 40M from
the Central Time Zone.  At least it's fun to DX from here and be able to
be home at sunrise in the winter due to being on the eastern end of
the CST zone where the Low Band LP is GREAT (at SR and SS).

Tom  N4KG in ALA (300 miles South & 50 miles WEST of Indianapolis)

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.