[Towertalk] Balun Location (more)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Balun Location (more)
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:15:57 -0700
I agree with K4OJ.  I've had _many_ (really many -- probably several dozen)
beams up with pigtail lead connections waterproofed using goops of various
sorts, and have never experienced failures due to water/weather, other than
the usual coax jacket cracking from UV exposure after several years -- which
has nothing to do with rain, or waterproofing.

My first Telrex 2m beam, model 814, purchased in 1965, stayed up until 1988
with "pigtail" leads connecting the feedline and the Telrex-supplied coaxial
balun still intact, never a weather problem (except jacket cracking from UV
exposure), and still working perfectly 23 years later when I finally took
that one down.  The pigtails were sealed with some sort of dark-colored
silicone sealant, that I had to cut through with a razor blade to find the
connections beneath -- which were still shiny, after 23 years.

So, I believe it's very possible to weatherproof pigtail connections,
permanently, or at least for the life of the cable.

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti