[Towertalk] Vertical vs. Horizontal was: 40M 4 Sq vs. 2 el Yagi at 70

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Vertical vs. Horizontal was: 40M 4 Sq vs. 2 el Yagi at 70 ft
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 00:12:37 -0400
I don't introduce another variable in trying to understand why a
particular ham gets equal performance out of a lazy V 4 square and a
shorty forty. The variables are all there, in action. All that varies
is whether we are perceptive enough to know that they are all in play.

Consider a vertical and a horizontal antenna, for talking purposes
both 5 dbi direct, the vertical getting no reflection gain, the
horizontal getting the 6 db.

Knife edge effects, outright blocks, and that sort of thing will
affect the 5dbi direct of both the V and H antenna, as you say. Those
are decidedly terrain effects, but not the only ones.

If the slope of the land out there at a low angle bounce distance is
upward enough then the horizontal energy that would have been
reflected out at some low angle will now be reflected out at some
higher angle.

The 6db reflection "advantage" still exists, just aimed too high to
make the horizontal antenna play better than the vertical at some low
angle.

It is possible to get the same effect with complex irregular terrain.

Family definition of an expert: anyone other than someone that lives
in the same house.

73