[Towertalk] Commercial 300W Amp

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Commercial 300W Amp
From: jhisson1@columbus.rr.com (Jason Hissong)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:06:19 -0400
Thanks Jon,  comments below:

> 1.) The best place to ask amplifier questions on is on the Amps reflector
> (amps@contesting.com).

Thanks... I appreciate that.  I will tailor my response below to put the
thread back on topic of the list.

> 2.) If I had the money to spend on either a 300 Watt amp or an additional
or
> better antenna, I would take the antenna.  A 300 Watt amplifier is only
> about a 4.5 dB or so increase in power over a 100 Watt transmitter.
> Considering an S-unit is about 6 dB, it's not going to help all that much.
> You'd be better off putting the money into a better antenna and/or coax
> which will help with not only your transmitted signal, but your received
> signal as well.  I am not trying to start the age-old Pout vs. antenna
> debate.  It's just that for what you get, going up to 300 Watts doesn't
help
> all that much.  You'd achieve much better results were you to say go to a
> 1000 Watt or 1500 Watt amplifier, but again, since this reflector is for
> antennas and towers........With a limited budget, go for the best basic
> setup you can.  Get the tower up and then get the best antennas you can
> afford and the best coax you can afford.  If after that, you can get a
good
> sized amplifier - go for it!

Thanks for the recommendation.  I am stepping up from an inverted V at
30-35' to a Hexbeam (I got if for the size, weight, and multiband antenna)
at 40'-45'.  Was wondering if an amplifier would do much better for me.  One
of the reasons for staying below 600watts is to reduce any interference I
may cause and also to prevent having to put 220V in the shack.  What would
be the best coax at a run of 100'?  I keep hearing something called
hardline, would this be the best?

Thanks es 73!!

Jason Hissong
N8XE