[Towertalk] Moving To New QTH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Moving To New QTH
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:01:47 -0400
It will be ERP, at the antenna height, and directed at the horizon.

There is a classical music radio station near Raleigh, WCPE. It
broadcasts on 89.7. The antenna is up a ~1200 foot tower. It
broadcasts at 100 KW ERP.

At the studio, which is just outside the fall radius of the tower, on
the stock FM radio in my old Aerostar, not particularly high tech, I
can listen to the student radio station at UNC on 89.5 that runs 500
watts about 25 miles away. (This is not the 100 KW PBS flagship
station WUNC on 91.5.)

This is much harder to do a mile away from the transmitter. Up close
there is a cone of reduced radiation directly under a station like
this.

A 100,000 watt station must maintain that ERP. A less efficient
antenna means they have to run more power at the transmitter, raising
fixed costs to operate the station. The pattern of the antenna at the
top of the tower is a critical issue for any station owner.

I'd guess you'll be OK. There could be birdies and such, which
stations usually try to clean up, but not much in the way of raw
overload.

73, Guy.