[Towertalk] Guys with a mast

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guys with a mast
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:51:15 -0500
on 10/19/02 11:34 AM, Jason Hissong at jhisson1@columbus.rr.com wrote:

> As I go through ideas of different ways to get my hexbeam up, I am trying to
> find a nice alternative to the roof tower.  Reason is that the city won't
> require a permit or variance.  I can go as high as I want.  As long as I can
> "retract" it below the roof line.  With a mast mounted at approximately 15',
> I would definately have to guy the mast (as mentioned on this list before).
> Would I have to use three guys?  Would two work? (basically mounting the two
> guys on the house).  The antenna is the 5 band hex beam.

Jason,

Just go through the trouble of getting a permit or variance.  You seem
intent on finding a way to have a top class antenna system w/o the hassle of
dealing w/the village.  But you probably can do it w/o their permission.
Like I have stated previously, just put something up.  They likely won't say
anything.  If you mount a roof tower and they complain, SO WHAT!

Look, villages don't typically go around with inspectors looking to see who
is doing what.  This past summer we built an entire deck and sun porch w/o a
permit.  What would I have done had I gotten caught?  Paid the fine and let
them inspect it.  The fine would have been double the permit application of
$60.  So big whup.  It would have been much more of a hassle to generate
drawings, submit things, wait for approval for what I can do to MY (I
REPEAT: MY) property, wait for the inspector, etc.  Of course, we had no
problems.

I put my first roof tripod up (a 14.5 footer) five years ago and no one ever
said boo.  Pretend you bought a new TV antenna.  Would you file a permit?
OK.  Enough said.

Yes, you can guy a mast.  But what a pain.  And why limit yourself?  You
seem intent on the Hexabeam.  Is it really the best antenna you can spend
you money on?  Or are you compromising and doing something you won't be
happy with?

If you really feel you must get city approval, then just do it.  You told me
it's not a problem as other hams in town have towers.  OK, so just do it.
First of all, the city cannot legally prohibit you from having a tower or
antenna system.  I don't understand you bit about it having to be below the
roof line.  They can't tell you that.  According to the federal PRB-1 rules,
no city can restrict a ham from having a reasonable antenna system.  When
playing with the city bureaucrats it helps to know what laws are on your
side.

Don't scrimp on your antenna system.  If you plan on doing any kind of
serious operating, then get something you'll have for many years and do it
right.  If you aren't a real serious operator, then scrap the idea of a
tower and get yourself a good, ground mounted vertical.  But if you want to
have a beam and some additional VHF or UHF antennas, then don't mess around.
A roof tower is a great thing and can be done easily and at relatively zero
expense and like I said, generally w/o a city permit.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden