[Towertalk] guying tolerance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] guying tolerance
From: nielsen@oz.net (Bob Nielsen)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:56:19 -0700
On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 02:36:39PM +0000, ted demopoulos wrote:
> Don't have the Rohn catalog in the office so I'm not sure, but I *believe*
> the specs state the guys need to be 120 degrees apart +/- 5 degree.
> Or at least, in one catalog from Rohn, they specified some tolerence,

The key consideration is that the vector sum of the horizontal forces
on the tower from the guys is zero, so one will end up with unequal
tension in the guys.  The use of a tension gauge such as the one
Champion Radio sells is highly advised.  In an extreme case, the size
of the guys may need to be increased, but it would be better to avoid
too great a deviation from 120 degree spacing.

73,
Bob, N7XY