[Towertalk] Balloon antenna/tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Balloon antenna/tower
From: ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com (Ronald KA4INM Youvan)
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 23:58:36 -0500
> So here's the hairbrained scheme...
> I float a Happy Birthday helium balloon 30 - 40 ' up holding a vertical
> wire antenna which is tied to my rear bumper (but not while driving).

> So if this contraption is to work, how long should the antenna wire be
> at 14.200?

   Calculate the length from the formulae in the ARRL hand book, add 20%
use an old VHF or UHF or CB antenna as the base (without any loading coil
in the base).  At the tip of the element (under the ball if any) attach
the balloon's wire with a small split bolt' and electrical compression
mend used to connect 3 or more wires. (predated the wire nut, a plastic
gismo that does the same thing).  You will be able to loosen the nut and run
the wire up or down at will to tune it.  The SS whip may make up the
extra 20% to allow you to tune lower in frequency.

        73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
     100% LINUX, since July, 1997   SENT Time and Date are UTC
        Visit my HAM Web SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm