[Towertalk] Helium Balloon

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Helium Balloon
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 22:11:48 -0800
At 10:22 PM 2002-11-03 -0800, Thomas Miller wrote:
>Why go thru the fuss of weather balloons?  Cheap plastic grabage bags tied
>together will lift a wire in light winds.  You never knows what will work
>untill you have 3/4 tank of helium left over from a party.
>
>Tom AC5TM
I think that almost anything would work, how about a dozen condoms?

The main point is that the helium has to stay in the vessel.  Some plastics
do not hold the helium which is a small size molecule.  The only reason
that I know this is that we use to sell very high purity metals.  To
package them so that they would not oxidize we had to have a special
plastice bag, usually with a thin metal film on the outside, then place the
metal therein, fill with hydrogen, evacuate (purge air out) then fill
again.  Once we had bags that didnot hold the H to long.  Boy did we have
complaints.

I like the bag with propane in.  Another that was done around here was a
hot air ballon, a paper bag upside down with string holding a a lite
candle.  Alright in the winter but not a good idea in the summer with dry
forests.  Real sight to see.  Add some flamable to the bag and a fuse then
it just might be the same as the ballon with propane.

Chris opr VE7HCB