[Towertalk] Towertalk Huh?!?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Towertalk Huh?!?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 09:04:05 EST
In a message dated 11/6/02 8:49:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, k6rix@arrl.net
writes:

> Yep, I know the rule...I just don't know "WHY"!  I'm primed for an
>  education so let er' rip!
>

>  >Yup, there bassakwards. Remember the old rule...."Never saddle a dead
horse.
> "

    Despite the fact that nobody uses cable clamps anymore, here goes. The
end of the wire that's bent back is called the 'dead' end since there is no
tension on it. The side that goes to the tower or anchor is called the 'live'
end and has the guy tension on it. The saddle goes on the live side since it
allows the clamp compressive force to be spread over a greater area than the
U-bolt part thus providing more gripping power to the critical side of the
connection. Therefore, 'never saddle a dead horse'. Installing a clamp
backwards reduces its holding power by something like 40%.

    Clamps are getting to be like buggy whips so this is almost a historical
note.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -