[Towertalk] Antenna Spacing on New Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Antenna Spacing on New Tower
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 01:17:59 -0600
There are hundreds of installations of 2L40's 10 to 14 ft
above tribanders on 2 inch O.D. 1/4 inch wall STEEL Masts
with yield strengths over 90,000 psi.

I've forgotten the yield strength of aluminum (~30,000 psi?)
but there is NO WAY a 2 inch o.d. 1/4 inch wall aluminum
mast will be strong enough to hold an HF Yagi more than
a few feet above the top of a tower.

Tom  N4KG

p.s.  Have you checked to be SURE your tower is rated
to handle that much wind load and the bending moment
created by a long mast above the top of the tower?