[Towertalk] W2FMI BALUN TOROID QUESTION

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] W2FMI BALUN TOROID QUESTION
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 14:53:27 -0500
At 2:15 PM -0500 11/10/02, K4BEV@aol.com wrote:
>...Amidon - W2FMI 4:1 Balun....Does anyone on the list know what
>types of torids are used in these?

I counted the turns and measured my Amidon W2FMI 1:1 balun, then
matched it against Fair-Rite's spec sheets.  Most likely your 4:1
balun uses two toroids of the same type as the one in my 1:1 balun.

IMO the ferrite is Type 61, which has a permeability ratio (mu/mu0)
equal to 125.  It's a good, relatively low-loss material for HF
applications.  Its Q peaks at over 300 at about 1 MHz, and has
dropped to about 100 at 10 MHz.

73 de Chuck W1HIS