[Towertalk] Quads Yagis and contact static

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Quads Yagis and contact static
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:21:56 -0500
At 1:01 PM -0500 11/20/02, Mel Martin wrote:
>Well the quads do reject static noise such as that created by high winds...
>especially if there is dust or snow in the air. The latter is a problem for
>me, often rendering my Yagis useless for receive... I had a quad at one
>time, and it certainly seemed a lot less succeptable... I'm not really sure
>why... Perhaps someone can explain this phenomenon...

An obvious _possibility_ is that all parts of all elements of a quad
are grounded for DC, whereas one-half of the driven element of a Yagi
(the half connected to the center conductor of a coaxial feedline)
might not be.  An ungrounded antenna is noisy -- extremely so in my
experience.

What about _your_ Yagis?

-Chuck, W1HIS