[Towertalk] high SWR at receiver inputs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] high SWR at receiver inputs
From: stetrekve@yahoo.com (steve sala)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:09:36 -0800 (PST)
Let me clarify.  This is a simplex system.  4 watts of
rf between 136 and 174 MHz for a detector system.  The
field troubleshooters sometimes find that the problem
is high SWR so either antenna or coax is remedied.
The initial call is for a communications failure in
one direction, but many times it is the receiver with
the high SWR antenna system that is not receiving the
correct signal, and not the transmitter problem
connected to the same antenna system.   My gut feeling
is that the high SWR would not affect the receiver as
much as the transmitter unless the antenna fell down,
etc.  If anything degraded, would not you see the
rffect at the other receiver end where the high SWR
would cause most of the transmitters energy to be
lost?
73
Steve K7AWB