[Towertalk] Cleaning Aluminium

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cleaning Aluminium
From: RedHaines@centurytel.net (Red)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 08:30:06 -0600
I researched the issue of cleaning and polishing aluminum years ago when
I owned an unpainted airplane.  A recommendation from one of the
manufacturing organizations worked best - least effort and very
effective.  Wash well with a non-alkaline detergent, then polish with
automotive rubbing compound, preferably the finer compound unless the
surface is too corroded for that to be effective.  A major advantage of
the rubbing compound over products sold for polishing airplanes was that
it is water based instead of oil based, and when it began to dry,
moistening the polishing bonnet softened it, making it easy to continue,
whereas, when the oil based product began to dry, it became very
difficult to remove it or continue working.  In addition, the price of
the rubbing compound was a fraction of the price of airplane polish.
 The information I received at that time (1960s) did not recommend any
wax.  Today, based on experience with maintaining cars, I would
experiment with some of the long lasting auto wax products.  Recognize
that they are usually silicone based and will prevent adhesion by other
materials.  There are solvents, used in auto refinishing, that remove
silicone materials.

73 de WO0W