[Towertalk] RE: Yaesu G1000SDX

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] RE: Yaesu G1000SDX
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 16:37:04 -0500
At 03:36 PM 12/2/02 -0500, Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD wrote:
>Erik:  You take a lightning hit?  I don't computer control my G1000SDX,
>but you describe what mine did for a while after a close strike, or direct
>hit--I don't know which.  The needle would spin around uncontrollably and
>sometimes point in the right direction, sometimes not.  When I would look
>outside, the antenna was aiming correctly where I had the preset pointing,
>but the needle would spin wildly, but would eventually stop in the
>vacinity where I was pointed.  Well, this summer I took another
>hit--direct I think.  It wiped out about $3,500.00 of on non-ham stuff in
>the house, but only 2 ham power supplies.  My rotor is now FIXED!  No
>explanation for it other than something up top was loose as my controller
>was disconnected at the time of the storm, and lightning fixed it!

I have seen this behavior when the Cinch plugs in my Yaesu rotator control
lines were flakey -- fixed them with an application of Caig R5.  The notion
that lightning fixed a control box full of semiconductors strikes me as
pretty creative.  More likely you had bad connections somewhere, and
something serendipitous caused them to go good again.  I suppose its
conceivable that the pot itself was intermittently open -- don't know about
that one.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower