[Towertalk] New Rotator In Place; Mast Now Binds

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] New Rotator In Place; Mast Now Binds
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 13:54:02 -0500
At 10:12 AM 12/3/02 -0800, Steve Katz wrote:
>But it does sound like you need to shim the mast-to-rotor interface to
>center up the rotating mast better.  That's normal.  The HAM series rotors
>only center the mast when the mast used is 2-1/6" diamenter, I believe, and
>anything smaller O.D. will rotate out of centricity, causing precisely the
>problem you have.  The last pointy-top R25 section I owned (many years ago)
>would not even pass a 2" mast, let alone allow one to rotate.

I think that this will occur anytime the mast is either smaller or larger
than the magic diameter.  I'm not sure it's necessary to replace the
pointy-top.  There are a couple of different models of pointy-top, I
believe.  Mine passes a 2" Rohn galvanized mast with ease, and leaves
enough clearance that a properly centered mast rotates with essentially
zero friction.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower